The SEE® & Calvin Coolidge®
Citizenship Challenge Contest
Complete the Registration Form to participate in the contest. Check Out The FAQ, Study Guide & Extra Credit below. Good luck! Please share this contest with friends by using the link in the FAQ below.
I’d like to add to my donation to help offset the cost of processing fees
1. IS THERE A LANDING PAGE OF INFORMATION AND MAY I SHARE IT WITH FRIENDS?
Yes. Copy this link and send it to your friends and their parents: https://lp.constantcontactpages.com/cu/7uvyhux/CitizenshipContest
2. WHO CAN ENTER THIS CONTEST?
Middle school students and high school students entering ninth or tenth grades may enter and participate in the Citizenship Challenge Contest, a nationwide contest on citizenship and civics presented by Seeking Educational Excellence and The Calvin Coolidge Foundation. Show your knowledge of the United States Constitution, American civics, and President Calvin Coolidge, our country’s thirtieth president!
3. WHO WILL RECEIVE A $50 GIFT CARD?
The first 50 students who register for, prepare for, and participate in the competition will receive a $50 gift card in appreciation for their hard work. Our Study Guide and flashcards will help you prepare.
4. IS THERE A STUDY GUIDE AND WHAT WILL THE CONTEST BE LIKE?
Yes. The Study Guide has one hundred and eight questions and the answers to each of those questions. For each round of the competition, students will be asked twenty-five questions randomly selected from The Study Guide. We also offer a Quizlet® Interactive Study Guide. In addition, extra credit is offered too (see below).
ROUND ONE – SEPT 17-24, 2021: The preliminary round of the competition will be virtual, on a Zoom interview call with a single contestant, a contest judge, and a Foundation staff member. The judge will ask the contestant twenty-five questions. A Foundation staff member will score the answers. Preliminary rounds will take place on Zoom September 17-24, 2021.
ROUND TWO – NOV 11-13, 2021: Top contestants in the preliminary round will be brought to Washington, D.C., along with a parent or guardian, for the final round of competition, a civics-themed tour of our nation’s capital, and the awards ceremony. The final round of the Challenge will take place November 11-13, 2021.
5. WHO GETS THE $500, $300, & $200 FINAL ROUND PRIZES?
- 1st Place Winner will receive $500 plus a SEE College Entry & Tuition Reducer Course.
- 2nd Place Winner will receive $300 plus a SEE College Entry & Tuition Reducer Course.
- 3rd Place Winner will receive $200 plus a SEE College Entry & Tuition Reducer Course.
6. WHAT ARE THE CONTEST DATES?
- September 17-24, 2021 is when Round One (the preliminary round) will take place (on Zoom).
- November 11-13, 2021 is when Round Two (the final round) will take place (in Washington, D.C.).
7. IS THERE EXTRA CREDIT?
Yes. Pages 15 – 18 of The Study Guide describe how to get extra credit. Students may earn extra credit by memorizing and reciting portions of either a speech or a letter written by President Calvin Coolidge, or by reciting the names of the presidents of the United States. If you would like to hear model recitations of our extra credit opportunities, as delivered by Charles Love, Executive Director, Seeking Educational Excellence, click the links below:
- Recitation of an excerpt from “Inspiration of the Declaration”
- Recitation of Coolidge’s letter to Charles Gardner
- Recitation of the presidents of the United States
8. HOW DO I SIGN UP?
To register for the SEE and Coolidge Citizenship Challenge Contest, please fill out the form (above) and tap SUBMIT. Good luck!